Search Tak Thoughts

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Puzzle #49: Black to Play; A Tinue in 3 Parts

Good evening, everyone!

So, I've been posting these puzzles for a while now and just realized that I don't really explain what Tinue is or how to answer. I know this isn't an issue for regulars, but it could be very confusing for new visitors.

Because of this, I will now try to remember to include a brief paragraph before each puzzle post defining any unusual terms and explaining how to answer the puzzle. Here's my first shot:

For the purpose of these puzzles, Tinue is defined as a board state in which no matter what the opposing player does during their turn (White, in this instance), a road win will be awarded to the other player (Black) on their next turn. If you are familiar with Chess, Tinue is very similar to Checkmate.

I named this puzzle A Tinue in 3 Parts not just as a nod to Rothfuss, but because I have set up 3 levels of difficulty to offer some choose your own adventure variety.

Part I - List the moves leading to a Black Tinue in either PTN or by posting a link to your solution on ptn.ninja.

Part II -  Find all 3 Tinues. Post in PTN or via a ptn.ninja link with gruppler's new branching function. Which is your favorite, and why?







Part III - Rewind the game back to White's move before the puzzle started (turn 23). What could White have done to prevent these Tinues?







Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment