Search Tak Thoughts

Sunday, May 13, 2018

My new 6x6 board!



I finally finished my board! I've been slowly gathering the materials for this and chipping away at pieces of the project for the past year. I still haven't had time to play a proper game on it, but maybe I'll con one of the kids to play against me :)

The flat stones are made from red oak and tulip poplar limbs. I cut the limbs last year and let them season under cover so that when I made them into cane pieces, the rounds wouldn't split. They have 3 coats of spray polyurethane on them. The dark pieces look far superior. Maybe that will offset the FPA...

The capstones are the inaugural USTA membership gift. They work quite nicely with the board.

The board itself is an 18x18 tile with furniture sliders glued under it so that it doesn't scratch up whatever it rests on. On top of that, I glued a mosaic backsplash that I found last year at Lowe's. I removed the backing and spaced the tiles on the board. They are held down with Liquid Nails Small Projects adhesive. The moss is sheet moss that I found at Walmart. It took 2 sheets to find enough usable green. I used the same adhesive to attach the moss. To seal the moss and tile, I sprayed 3 coats of Flex Seal clear on. Otherwise, the moss would be more prone to flaking off.





My first board was a 5x5 in a very standard pattern. It was fun to make (especially the drawstring bag), but I wanted something that was more interesting, as well as in a larger size. My sister is enjoying my first board since last year when I gave it to her as a birthday gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment